9.25.2007

The Hunt, Part IV (Maybe This Time?)...

Well, as I write this, it is Monday night and time to catch you all up on the search.

Going back to this past Thursday, I got a call from Camille in the AM asking if I could get to an address within about an hour. She had a really nice studio for $1,700 ($100 more than my $1,600 budget) in Chelsea. I was hesitant at first (Not sure I wanted to live in Chelsea), but after she gave me the address, I said yes...

I arrived at the location to meet up with Marcus. The unit was another first floor overlooking the sidewalk, only there are stairs leading down to a lower level business so no worries about people walking up and looking in, and as you can see in the photo, there is a double set of bars on the window (window on the left in photo). The street is reasonably quiet, and quite pretty. Marcus buzzed the super and she let us into the unit. Well, it wasn't the largest unit I had seen, but it certainly was nice enough. I would guess 325-350 sq ft, it has three closets, and actual windows in both the kitchen and bathroom in the back of the unit. Having looked at eight other units the previous three days, I decided I would be happy here. Actually, I would be happier here than at any other place I had seen. So I told Marcus that I wanted to go back and put in an application.

We hopped on the subway and headed up to their office in Midtown. I spent the next hour filling out paperwork giving a cash deposit, and waiting for my credit report to come back. Now normally, there is an answer relatively soon... My credit came back golden (all those years of on time payments helps at a time like this), but it turns out that the person in charge of making the ultimate decision was unavailable due to the Jewish Holidays (Yom Kippur). Camille said she would let me know as soon as she did. I headed home to wait by the phone.

I got a call on Thursday evening from Camille letting me know that they have the application, and the decision makers assistant said it looks good, but I will need to wait it out, most likely until Monday. I spent the entire weekend trying not to get too excited, I don't want to get my hopes up only to be let down.

I spent the weekend recovering from a small bout of bronchitis (this is becoming a bit too regular). I am feeling much better now, and am thankful I didn't need to see a doctor for antibiotics.

This morning (Monday), I left a message, and Camille called back a couple of hours later to let me know the decision maker hadn't come in to his the office yet (his office is not the brokers office but the building owners office... Sorry if this is confusing), and to hold on and keep waiting. She said she would call as soon as she knew...

Well, I am still waiting and yes, the suspense is killing me. As of this writing on Monday evening, I do not know if I have it yet, and I am doing everything I can think of to avoid being completely consumed by the stress of it all. I just have to accept that I have done what I could, and it is out of my hands. I have to just let go.

To be truthful, there is more to reveal about this place and why it is so important to me to spend more than my budget for it (it is so worth the extra)... But, just like I am being held in suspense... So will you!

Stay tuned!

No comments: