11.09.2007

I Heart New York...

The cliché is so overused, it almost has no meaning any longer... But it does. Just as the Empire State Building is likely the most worn out and tired of New York City Tourist Attractions, it is still the Empire State Building, and the view is still one that must not be missed (although Top of the Rock is good too).

So, I will say it... I Y New York!

And I am not alone! Looking at a map (below) of where my last five hundred page loads on this site have come from, I can clearly see that there are plenty of others out there that also love New York and are curious about it it (OK, and they are also curious about me, but most of my readers don't know me personally).

(click on map to make it bigger)

As I begin to establish my life here, and day to day routines begin to develop, I fall deeper and deeper in love with my city. My closest friends have become weary of the constant text messages I send such as... "I love it here!" or "Did I mention how much I love NYC?". But they don't know the half of it.

When I leave my apartment, walk down the block and turn the corner on 8th Avenue, the Empire State Building comes into view and my heart flutters a bit, I feel the rush of Endorphins running throughout my body, and I utter an inward sigh of joy. The same thing happens as I wander the streets taking in all that is around me, I get these overwhelming emotions of happiness about where I am and all that has happened. At times, I am absolutely giddy like a schoolgirl with a big smile on my face as I push my way through the crowds in Midtown. But of course it isn't all cupcakes and candy...

As I quoted on my sidebar "One must learn to live in New York on New York's terms, not ones own." There is nothing truer to be said about New York, even the ultra wealthy must accept the city on it's terms and not theirs (although they certainly have more options). On an island of 1.53 million residents (and a daytime population of 2.87 million) all crammed together on just under 23 square miles, you must accept that you are not going to have much say in how things are done.

To pull another quote from my sidebar: "New Yorkers have a highly evolved, unrivaled knack for glossing over limitations, absurdities and dubious habitability of an unforgiving metropolis." (source) There is perhaps nowhere else in North America (maybe San Francisco) where the dwellers of a city are willing to tolerate as much crap as we must endure on a daily basis, just for the opportunity to live there.

I have come to learn that there are three types of opinions held by outsiders.
  1. I love New York, if only I could live there.
  2. I love to visit New York, but could never live there.
  3. New York is an awful filthy rotting den of hedonism filled with liberals, a place I would never want to go and hope I never have to.

For the majority of my life, I wavered between the first and second opinion. I always wanted to live here, but couldn't see myself actually doing it. I didn't think I was up to the task. As for the third opinion... I never held it, and those that do live a pretty pedestrian life. It is sad that they are unwilling to open their minds to the world around them. They just as well stay away, lest I bump into them on the sidewalk and tell them what I really think.

OK, now back the point of this post... I love New York. I love it more than any other place I have ever lived. It may have taken me 42 years to get here, but until now, the time wasn't quite right. I had to wait until all of my ducks were in a row, until I had the liquidity, and the maturity and wisdom to make it happen. It finally did... After patiently waiting a lifetime, I am finally in my homeland. My rightful place in life. Don't for minute think I am not grateful. My gratitude runs deeper than any I have ever experienced. I am eternally grateful. Thanks be to the guy upstairs.

Now, if I have it my way... I will grow old here. Looking at all the fashionable clued-in seniors wandering about, I just can't think of a better place to live out my days.

(About the map... Not to worry, although I can see where you are coming from, I don't know who you are... except for Mom and Dad, I know your ISP and nobody else has it.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, I'm glad you've found some happiness! I wish you the best in your upcoming years, I know you will make the best of it.

And, sadly, I don't see me on that map. Must be because I usually get your updates via the RSS feed and not by actually visiting the site.

Take care!

-- I

JUSTIN said...

So are you saying that you like living in New York? Haha, j/k. It seems that the wait was worth it!

I must say I feel very similar about Chicago...whenever I see the Sear's Tower framed by Lincoln Ave I beam like a proud parent.

forgingahead said...

I suppose I am a #2, but not even sure about that. I think there are other opinions. For me:

I like (note, I did not say 'love') to visit New York; but find it terribly expensive and exhausting.

There are many people out here who find ALL cities a bit overwhelming for many of the reasons you cite. But I certainly don't have any of the feelings about NYC you list in your #3.

Devyn said...

Bob, I accept your interpretation of #2... There are certainly more degrees of opinion. I contemplated the 'like' aspect, but for the sake of the post wanted to keep it simple.

Mary Hilton said...

For better or worse, I can't imagine living anywhere else. Too many people here like me (like you, and all the other transplants). Challenging but worth it. As they say, living anywhere else is like camping out.