10.03.2007

Still Settling In... The Thought, That Is

I still find myself in a state of somewhat disbelief and a bit giddy about the new place. After all it only just a single piece of the puzzle that makes up my life in New York dream. but it is a gigantic piece, and one that will affect all of the rest of my New York dream. After all I just couldn't imagine that dream from (insert any place other than Manhattan below 59th St). This is what I came here for.

I still have to figure out how to get all my stuff in there (and then do it), and settle in... And oh yeah, I still need to get a job. I suppose once all my stuff is in there, and I have emptied the boxes, I will be able to actually allow myself to "settle in" in my own head.

I won't be actually moving in until a week from Saturday, but I plan to start staying there on an air mattress in the next couple of days (Stefan wants his apartment back). A few harsh realities have begun to settle in... First and formost is that I cannot keep most of my furniture. I had expected that I wouldn't settle for an apartment under 350 sq ft, and I got rid of all of the furniture that wouldn't fit before I left Chicago. Well, location trumped space, and I have always been about location. So, I will adapt to my 274 sq ft. As for all my furniture I brought from Chicago? I have no place to put my book cases and don't really need them with the built in shelves, My beautiful stainless steel desk is too big, and while my sofa may technically fit, it would look as though it were wedged in. As for my bed, I am going to invest in a Murphy Bed because I cannot accept living in a bedroom. I don't want to see the bed unless it is time to use it.

I am not quite sure how I am going to get rid of the excess furniture just yet... I will probably leave them in my locker, and sell them via Craig's List. The only furniture I am moving will be my Aeron Chair, my rug, my mattress, and coffee table. That and about 140 boxes of which I will have lots of other things to sell and get rid of. But they will be easier to sell off from the apartment rather than schlep to the locker in Brooklyn for each transaction. I plan to use the proceeds to defray the cost of replacing my sofa and buying the Murphy Bed. I am also going to do an Ikea trip to get a desktop and one of those small fold up tables and two chairs for dining.

I have thus far spent about six hours at the new place (part of it waiting for the UPS delivery of my DSL modem) measuring, thinking, and figuring out how I am going to make it work. It will... I feel pretty good about that.

1 comment:

Mary Hilton said...

Welcome to New York! As a 41 year old recent transplant, I can relate to your awesome blog. Enjoy the adventure of a lifetime!